CFIR Dallas, TX

Google
WWW CFIR Dallas

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Green Bay Press-Gazette - $$text.style("HD*")$$

Green Bay Press-Gazette - $$text.style("HD*")$$

Mexicans living in the Green Bay area will get their first — and perhaps only — opportunity next week to locally obtain an identification card that helps them open bank accounts and perform other transactions.

Officials from the Mexican Consulate’s Office in Chicago will issue about 2,000 matricula consular identification cards Wednesday through Saturday at Washington Commons. The drive is being sponsored by US Bank.

“The benefit obviously is that people don’t have to drive to Chicago and waste a day to get their cards,” said Noemi Ordaz, consulate official.

The consulate also will issue passports and other important documents.

The matricula consular is an ID that the Mexican government issues through 47 consulates in the United States to its citizens living abroad. The cards are given to Mexican immigrants who typically do not have Social Security cards or other accepted identification.

It serves as U.S. identification and can be used to open savings and checking accounts, cash checks, access automated teller machines and wire money worldwide.

The ID card, which is digitized, includes a person’s legal address, birthplace, signature and photo.

Ordaz said it’s unclear if officials will return to Green Bay. In 2002, the consulate issued 1,731 cards here. The agency didn’t have 2003 numbers immediately available.

EU Business - German ministers feud over plans for immigrant camps in Africa

EU Business - German ministers feud over plans for immigrant camps in Africa
01 August 2004

German Interior Minister Otto Schily hit back Sunday at his colleague at the foreign ministry over proposals to set up camps for asylum-seekers in north Africa.

"We should ask ourselves if it isn't better to receive refugees close to their countries of origin. To my mind that's the best solution," he told the newspaper Welt am Sonntag.

The idea had been robustly criticised by Foreign Minister Joschka Fisher who said recently that the idea "had not been thought through."

"I have nothing good to say of it," he said.

Schily hit back by saying that "some people had got indignant without having studied the details.

"I would have expected my colleague Fischer to get in touch with me before speaking out in public," Schily told the newspaper.

"I have to send that (remark) back to...Fischer," Schily said. "It seems to me he hasn't thought things through.

"It is wrong to believe that we can solve the problems in African crisis regions by bringing people to Europe."

Schily said the impression should not be given to people who put their fates in the hands of traffickers or set out to sea in "nutshells" that they would automatically get the right to arrive in Europe.

He pointed out that Italy had set up a refugee camp on the island of Lampedusa near Sicily.

"Why should a camp like that be criticised if it was in Tunisia, for example?" he said.

KRT Wire | 08/01/2004 | A Hemingway odyssey: from Kazakhstan to Key West

KRT Wire | 08/01/2004 | A Hemingway odyssey: from Kazakhstan to Key West

A Hemingway odyssey: from Kazakhstan to Key West

BY JENNIFER BABSON

Knight Ridder Newspapers


KEY WEST, Fla. - (KRT) - It took Vladimir Malikov - surely Kazakhstan's only official Ernest Hemingway look-alike - two years to figure out a way to make it from the country's former capital, Almaty, to Key West, Fla.

Last week, he arrived in Central Asian style.

Along the way, the 66-year-old pensioner hawked personal property, had friends raise money for him, says he received a $1,400 grant from the Soros foundations network and took up quarters at a Key West hotel affixed to a youth hostel.

All of this to be a part of the July 24 Ernest Hemingway look-alike contest, an annual Key West rite that draws hundreds of pot-bellied men with copious amounts of facial hair and a certain swagger hoping to become "Papa."

"I was trying to find a way to get here and I found a way," Malikov said through an interpreter. "It was my dream, and I did it."

Malikov - who does not speak English, but sure loves American pizza - survives on a $60-a-month pension in the strapped former Soviet republic.

When he showed up in Key West with about $500 and no credit card, the hotel where he thought he had reservations sent him packing. That's when John A. Klausing, general manager emeritus of Sloppy Joe's - a legendary Hemingway haunt and the contest sponsor - stepped in.

"He was all by himself so I had to put him up in a hotel," Klausing said. "We're taking care of him."

Malikov's hobbies - wine-making and berry gardening - aren't standard-issue pursuits for Papa contenders. He doesn't drink, either, and the pipe between his teeth is stuffed with tissue. The only performing "talent" he says he has is writing and reading jokes and stories - in Russian.

In 2002, Malikov read about the look-alike contest - now in its 24th year as part of the annual Hemingway Days festival - in a Russian newspaper, then checked it out on the web. That's when he swore to find a way halfway across the world.

"When I was young, I was a wrestler, I'm a fighter. I'm fighting through everything to get through life," he said.

Malikov said he began reading Hemingway as a teen in the Soviet Union. His current favorite: "The Old Man and the Sea."

His first trip to the United States was partially underwritten, he said, by the Soros foundations' Open Society Institute, which has spent more than $40 million in Kazakhstan, mostly on issues like education, legal reform and HIV/AIDS.

A New York-based Soros spokeswoman could not immediately confirm whether Malikov received a grant.

"It's very possible he was given a grant for research on Hemingway. It is highly unlikely that he would be given a grant for anything that would include participation in a look-alike contest," Laura Silber, a senior policy advisor, said.

Malikov said the nonprofit underwrote a round-trip plane ticket to Chicago, from where he eyeballed a host of Hemingway sites he plans to write about.

He's also visiting daughter Yelena, who is pregnant in Milwaukee.

Among Malikov's missions in Key West: Obtaining the signatures of other Papas on the back of a shirt he had printed especially for the Key West pilgrimage. In pink letters on the front is a list of the cities he traversed to get to the contest - Almaty, Moscow, Chicago, Key West.

`When I get back to Almaty, I will wear this T-shirt and I will say, `This is me, and these are my friends,'" he said.

To assist bearded buddies who might be geographically challenged, Malikov toted a tiny plastic ball imprinted with a map of the world.

Even among hard-core Hemingway wannabes, who are fairly nonplussed, this one was considered a bit exotic.

"We've had `em from Brazil, Germany, Ireland, South Africa," said 1997 Papa look-alike winner Bart Barton. "But we've never had any from Kazakhstan."

State News - StatesmanJournal.com Oregon widow to be deported, judge rules

State News - StatesmanJournal.com
Oregon widow to be deported, judge rules

Her U.S. husband died less than 2 years after their marriage

The Associated Press
August 1, 2004

The widow of a U.S. citizen must return to her native South Africa because her husband died after less than two years of marriage, a federal judge has ruled.

U.S. District Judge Owen Panner ruled that immigration officials had reasonably interpreted that the two-year rule was firm, and that Carla Arabella Freeman must leave the country because she and her husband, Robert, hadn’t been married long enough before he died in a 2002 car accident.

Panner ordered immigration officials to wait 30 days before deporting Freeman, allowing the woman’s lawyer time to decide whether to take the case to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

The attorney, Brent Renison of Portland, criticized the decision, saying it “is not what a civilized country does.”

Although the two-year rule doesn’t come into play often, Renison said that immigration attorneys have learned of at least 25 similar cases.

Immigration officials in Georgia, for example, are seeking to deport Olga Bota, a

38-year-old Romanian citizen whose American husband died from stomach cancer in 2000.

Bota has a 4-year-old daughter who is a U.S. citizen, said Cherie Elizabeth Patronis, the Atlanta attorney representing her.

Rubi Dobrenz, who lives in Mount Vernon, Wash., faces deportation to her native Peru because her husband committed suicide shortly after their marriage in early 2000, said Bart Stroupe, her Seattle attorney.

Renison said he is not aware of any federal court that has sided against immigration officials in such cases. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., co-sponsored a bill passed by Congress in 2000 that allowed Suchada Kwong, a native of Thailand, to become a permanent U.S. resident.

Kwong faced deportation after her American husband was killed in a car wreck in Clark County, Wash., in 1996.

Renison said Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, has introduced a bill to replace the two-year-rule with a standard that says the marriage must be entered in good faith.

Boston.com / News / Local / Mass. / Natives of Montserrat face return to island

Boston.com / News / Local / Mass. / Natives of Montserrat face return to island: "Natives of Montserrat face return to island
By Maria Cramer, Globe Staff | August 1, 2004
Immigration activists are trying to draw attention to a little-known decision by the Department of Homeland Security to send hundreds of Montserratians back to their Caribbean island, including a mother and daughter who moved to Dorchester after fleeing Montserrat eight years ago. Early this month, the federal agency revoked the ''temporary protected status' under which many Montserratians had lived since 1997, after an active volcano chased out thousands.
ADVERTISEMENT
Because of the loss of status, Marsha Meade, 32, who left in 1996 when she was pregnant with her daughter, Enya, and 291 other Montserratians have until Feb. 27, 2005, to prepare for their departure. ''At first, we were shocked and confused, and now I think the reaction is slowly coalescing into anger,' said Meade, who now lives in Whitman. ''No one is sure of what to do next.'
According to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website, the decision to revoke the temporary protection status of Montserratians was made because the volcanic activity on the island has not shown signs of abating.
On Tuesday, the Irish Immigration Center in Boston held a free clinic at Dorchester House Multi-Service Center to explain immigration options to the 50 to 75 Montserratians who attended. Another meeting has been scheduled for 5 p.m. today at the Montserrat Aspirers Club in Dorchester on Washington Street."

Scotsman.com News - Latest News - Sacked Whistleblower Pledges to Fight On

Scotsman.com News - Latest News - Sacked Whistleblower Pledges to Fight On
Sacked Whistleblower Pledges to Fight On

By Alistair Keely, PA News


Immigration whistleblower Steve Moxon today confirmed he had been sacked but vowed to take the Government to an employment tribunal and win.

Mr Moxon, 48, was initially suspended in March following revelations that staff at an Immigration Service office in Sheffield had been asked to “fast track” applications from thousands of migrants from Eastern Europe who wanted to work or study in Britain.

Immigration Minister Beverley Hughes came under increasing pressure after Mr Moxon’s revelations and eventually resigned following further allegations.

Mr Moxon said he was told he had been sacked at 11pm last Monday.

The Sheffield-based civil servant said: “They have not bothered to look at any of the evidence. They found that I – completely incorrectly – was not protected by the Public Interest Disclosure Act.

“They haven’t got a case at all. I shall be going to an employment tribunal and I have been advised I will win.”

An earlier leaked Home Office report recommended that he should be dismissed because he had “embarrassed ministers and the department” and breached his contractual duty of confidentiality.

But it also found that he acted “reasonably” when he publicly revealed that warnings sent by email to ministers had been ignored.

The Public Interest Disclosure Act was introduced in 1998 by the Government to allow workers to expose wrongdoing at work.

Mr Moxon is also set to release a book, The Great Immigration Scandal, which is due to be published later this month.

“They will not silence me,” said Mr Moxon. “My book goes into more detail, there is a lot more to come out.”

Today a Home Office spokesman confirmed: “He has been informed in writing that he has been dismissed and the reasons.

“The normal Home Office internal disciplinary proceedings were followed.

“It is an internal civil service disciplinary matter and not a matter ministers would be involved in.”